The flowchart above is posted as an example. It’s from Multnomah County, Oregon. Can’t find one similar for any county in California.
The information on this page has been obtained from the California Dept. of Social Services (CDSS) Refugee Programs. That website is a dizzying network of interconnected documents, facts, agencies, and offices.
- The California State Plan for Refugee / Entrant Assistance and Services
- The 2014-15 State Plan is 89 pages. LINK TO ENTIRE DOCUMENT.
Due to its length, I have posted below SUMMARY DOCUMENTATION obtained from CDSS online.
Summary Documentation (Fact Sheets) of the Plan
- The Plan
- National Resettlement Agencies
- Local County Resettlement Coordinators
The fact sheets for the California State Plan are reproduced here in the event that the URL changes.
CDSS=Calif. Dept. of Social Services
Facts: Resettlement Agencies (RAs) – National & Local
- Largely funded by U.S. taxpayers.
- The initial sponsor of a refugee entering the U.S. Provides resettlement assistance to refugees.
- The RAs contract with the U.S. Department of State to provide services such as reception, basic orientation, counseling, food, shelter and health services to refugees.
- Provides information on local schools.
- Make referrals for employment and English language classes.
- Also known as VOLAGS.
The National Resettlement Agencies – Source.
When a refugee comes to the U.S., they are assigned to one of nine National Resettlement Agencies:
- Church World Service (CWS)Visit disclaimer page
- Ethiopian Community Development Council (ECDC)Visit disclaimer page
- Episcopal Migration Ministries (EMM)Visit disclaimer page
- Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS)Visit disclaimer page
- International Rescue Committee (IRC)Visit disclaimer page
- US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI)Visit disclaimer page
- Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services (LIRS)Visit disclaimer page
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB)Visit disclaimer page
- World Relief Corporation (WR)Visit disclaimer page
California State RA Affiliates
The following is a one sheet profile of Resettlement Agencies in California. Source.
County Resettlement Agency Coordinators
California County involvement represents the longest and largest that a refugee will encounter.
County Offices are responsible for administering the Refugee Resettlement Services.
What SERVICES do county officials provide to new refugees?
- WELFARE CASH ASSISTANCE
- EMPLOYMENT CONNECTIONS (usually w/Chamber of Commerce)
- FOOD STAMPS
- FAITH- OR ETHNIC-BASED REFUGEE ASSISTANCE CONTACTS